- The competition is a multi-round, elimination tournament.
- In each round, three competitors brew coffee simultaneously.
- Competitors have 8 minutes in which to prepare, brew, and present their coffee.
- When the time is up, the coffees are presented in identical vessels to a panel of three judges.
- The judges blindly evaluate each coffee and make their own private assessment as to which is the best.
- On the count of three, all judges simultaneously point to their preferred coffee.
- The winner progresses to the next round. The losers are eliminated.
- The brewer used must be a genuine Aerobie AeroPress.
- Any modifications to a brewer need to be authorised by the Hosts prior to the competition.
- Ground coffee and water are the only ingredients allowed.
- Any type of filter is allowed. This includes paper, metal, cloth, and all other types of filter.
- Competitors are welcome to bring their own grinder, kettle, scales, water, or other equipment.
- If the Hosts have specified a competition coffee, this is the only coffee that may be used.
- Competitors must present a minimum of 200ml of coffee, in the vessel provided.
- Coffees not presented within the time limit of 8 minutes will not be evaluated.
- Failure to comply with any of the above will result in disqualification.
- Each round is judged blind using the cupping technique of spoon, slurp, and spit.
- Competitor’s names will be marked on the underside of the cups where they are completely hidden.
- There is no scoresheet or formal judging criteria. Judges are simply answering: “Which cup would I prefer to drink all of?"
- Each judge will arrive at their own conclusion, without discussing the samples with their fellow judges.
- On the count of three, all judges will point simultaneously, confidently, and definitively at the cup of their choosing.
- After judging, the MC will lift the winning cup, revealing the name of the glorious round winner, while simultaneously shaming the losers.
- In the event of all three judges pointing at different cups, the MC or a pre-determined Head Judge will taste the coffees, and decide the round. This decision is final.